Welcome!


This blog shares information on upcoming events, important dates, and updates about McCoy College of Business.

Be sure to "follow" this blog by clicking the button below and check out our Twitter and Facebook accounts to stay connected.

Monday, October 12, 2015

October Student Organization of the Month: National Association of Black Accountants

Get to know Valerie Amadi, senior Accounting major and President of NABA (National Association of Black Accountants). The NABA is focused on developing, encouraging and serving as a resource for greater participation by African-Americans and other minorities in the accounting, finance and business professions.  They assist minority students in entering the accounting and finance profession by developing professional skills and providing opportunities for members to network and fulfill their civic responsibility.  They also participate in chapter, regional, and national programs. 

 

Q: How will your major and NABA help you reach your goals?

My ultimate goal is to become a Certified Public Accountant and through NABA, I have been able to build highly transferable leadership and professional skills. I have attended several workshop and conferences to heighten my knowledge and awareness of the field as well as partake in numerous networking opportunities, all of which are essential to a career in the accounting field. 


Q: What resource on campus do you recommend for students to utilize?

There are many useful resources on campus but I will highly recommend student to visit SLAC for academic assistance. As well, students should utilize their professors to help guide them through their career aspirations and professional organizations to enhance their knowledge and exposure to their desired career field. 


Q: What has been the most meaningful part of your McCoy Experience?

The most meaningful part of my college career has been the relationships and connections I have been able to make with other students and professors. Especially through NABA, I have been able to surround myself with likeminded people who continue to motivate me to be successful and achieve my goals.


Q: What makes your organization special/unique?

We are a close knit, member focused organization. Due to this fact, members are able to have more one on one interactions with professional as well as exposure to professors.


Q: What is something you wish someone would’ve told you before you started your college journey?

I wish someone had advised me to fully take advantage of my freshmen year to explore more opportunities including leadership roles and organizational affiliations. My most rewarding experiences has been as a result of my involvement with several different types of organizations around campus.


Q: How can students join your organization? And when are your meetings held?

NABA is open to all majors, but particularly promotes the development and advancement of minority students.  Student can simply join the organization by attending our bi-weekly meetings on Thursday in McCoy 127 and turning a membership form alongside dues.



For more information, visit their  website