Welcome!


This blog shares information on upcoming events, important dates, and updates about McCoy College of Business.

Be sure to "follow" this blog by clicking the button below and check out our Twitter and Facebook accounts to stay connected.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Student Organization Spotlight - Financial Management Association



Get to know Ian McCammon, a sophomore finance major, and president of the Financial Management Association.  The Financial Management Association at Texas State University allows students to become more familiar with the different career opportunities within the financial industry. FMA is open to all majors and has had a wide variety of speakers from such companies to come and speak about what their position entails, what they look for when hiring, and also possible internship positions.

1) How will your major and FMA help you reach your goals? 



I believe knowing what you want to do, and getting involved with something related to that as early as possible, is key to having a successful academic and business related career. I have always known I wanted to be in Finance, so it was important for me to shift my focus to how I can better position myself for success. In doing that, I came across the Financial Management Association, and I have learned a lot. Being a part of something with people of like-minded aspirations was refreshing and I have experienced more than I could have ever imagined. Whether you decide to join the Financial Management Association or not, which I HIGHLY suggest you should, involvement is key to seeing and experiencing firsthand what you will be doing after graduation. 



2) What resources on campus do you recommend for students to utilize?



I have found that it is very beneficial to utilize faculty. Even if you feel uncomfortable approaching a professor, it’s important to make use of your time inside and outside of class, especially in regards to something you are confused about. Another great resource I have found useful is the Academic Advising Center. I personally have received support, advice, and knowledge about my career goals and decisions I should make in my personal life. The advisors are there to guide us in a positive direction, and I feel like it’s a resource that not a lot of people utilize, and should. 



3) What has been the most meaningful part of your McCoy experience?



The most meaningful part of my McCoy experience is the sense of community you start to feel in your core and upper level classes. As you advance, classes become smaller, and you start to build relationships with the people you see multiple times a day. 



4) What makes your Organization special/unique?



What sets the Financial Management Association a part from many other organizations is the strong leaders we help cultivate, the numerous opportunities we have, and the longevity our organization has had at Texas State. We are open to ALL majors because we think everyone deserves the same opportunities when it comes to their careers. Giving our members access to top notch speakers and the opportunity to learn how to network early benefits them exponentially. Our trips to New York and Chicago also give members exposure to large business hubs and insight from people in these regions. Aside from what we do at McCoy, our members give back to the community through various events like Trunk or Treat, Bobcat Build, and soon Junior Achievements. 




5) What is something you wish someone would have told you before you started your college journey?



I wish someone would have told me to focus on myself. A lot of the times we get caught up in taking care of so many other people that we neglect our own personal needs - academically and professionally. It’s important to maintain an even balance in all aspects of your college career, to remain sane, and to be successful. Things can become extremely stressful at times, so make it a point to prioritize and take care of yourself first, then worry about everything else that follows afterwards. 



6) How can students join your organization?



Students can join the Financial Management Association at any time, but firstly, I want to invite everyone to our first meeting on February 10th in McCoy 127 at 5PM. Here we will give more information about what we do, the various ways they can get involved in our organization, and of course - free pizza afterwards. 



They can also get more information at our website - www.txstatefma.org