Welcome!


This blog shares information on upcoming events, important dates, and updates about McCoy College of Business.

Be sure to "follow" this blog by clicking the button below and check out our Twitter and Facebook accounts to stay connected.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Student Organization Spotlight: CEO

Take a moment to get to know Kasey Smetana, President of Collegiate Entrepreneurs' Organization (CEO) chapter at Texas State University, an award-winning group of entrepreneurs and business students. CEO is a global network that informs, supports, and inspires college students to be entrepreneurial and seek opportunity through enterprise creation. Every fall semester, more than 1,600 students, faculty, and others interested in entrepreneurship attend a 2 1/2 day CEO Conference in Chicago, IL, where students come together to network, compete in a variety of different competitions. Over 80 outstanding entrepreneurs and business leaders share their ideas and expertise with students on how they launched their businesses, the lessons they've learned, and where they are today.
 


Q: What does CEO have planned so far for the 2013-2014 school year?

Next year we will be hosting our Annual Golf Tournament. All the proceeds are donated to the St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. Also we will be hosting our first ever “Bobcat Competition” where there will be a show and raffle. We will also be selling our legendary tanks and Bobcatopolies, so that we can raise money to go to Florida for the National Conference in October 2014. We will also be helping with the Business Leadership week in February.

Q: How will your major and CEO help you reach your goals?

CEO has brought me so many opportunities already. Because of CEO I have been able to network with many students, not only through the organization and McCoy, but also throughout the CEO National Organization. My goal from the beginning was to get over my fear of speaking in front of people. This last week, we attended our National Conference where I was a keynote moderator and introduced Chris Heivly, CEO of MapQuest, in front of 1500 students and entrepreneurs. Since I have faced my fears, I have been able to make such great connections with both students and professors.

Q: What resource on campus do you recommend for students to utilize?

I think that students often forget to use their professors as resources. Yes they are teachers, but most of them have firsthand experience. I talked to professors all the time in person even if it’s not about grades. Most professors are there to help you succeed and give you advice that you cannot learn in the classroom. They will also bring you really great opportunities. I am Teacher’s Assistant for Mr. Lawrence Herring and it has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have had this year.

Q: What is your favorite part about Texas State?

McCoy! This business school has been the best thing for me. The professors are very helpful and the students actually have their “heads on right”. When I came to college, I wanted to take it seriously. Once I got through basics and into McCoy, my whole view of college changed. A few weeks ago I was invited by the Dean to a Distinguished Alumni Luncheon where I was one of about 10 students who got to meet Mr. Tom Roddy. I would never choose a different major or a different school!

Q: What do you think is the ‘key to success’?

I believe that if you want to be successful, you have to step out of your comfort zone. You sometimes have to put yourself in uncomfortable situations and work hard to get over them. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it.
 
To learn more about CEO, visit their Facebook page